Saturday, November 20, 2010

Drivers…Start Your Engines!!! Wait a minute……itinerary please!!!

In this journey called life, sometimes we venture off the pathway. During the course of such detours, we veer; we swerve and finally slam on the breaks realizing this is not where we should be.  Back on course we go, but now,  in order to make up for lost time we crank things up (forgetting that we’ve done no maintenance; no oil change, no tire rotation or balancing, no changing of the brake pads)…switching from first, to second, finally  into third gear. We floor it and before we know it, smoke is pluming and we can’t see the road before our eyes. The engine is burnt out and our hearts sink knowing that we’re further off course than before. 



 So…we get out and instead of walking…we run. 

 


In many ways, we do this throughout life. In such a hurry to GET THERE that we burn ourselves out and have nothing left to give. We get so caught up in going through the motions to get to the next point, that we crash and burn. We forget to care for other things along the way.
The other day I was reflecting on my journey since May….thinking to myself….this is what I’ve done off and on during the process of trying to reach my final goal. This voice in the back of my head often says, “You’re behind…you’ve got more to do and so far to go. Go harder or go home and don’t come back.”
I’ve been clobbering myself over the head, cutting, counting, and analyzing all along the way….forgetting to enjoy the fun of getting there. Wearing myself out, burning my motor out. When my engine burnt out…instead of taking time to recover and walk, I would just run harder.  
I am doing things a little different now. Getting comfortable with allowing myself to live more in the moment.  I’ve been getting so caught up in this vision of where I want to be, that I haven’t truly allowed myself to enjoy and appreciate how far I have come.  Success requires you to grind….but not to grind yourself into the pavement in the process. Take time to enjoy just being. Give yourself time to reflect, to rest….your mind, body and spirit.
31pounds down…and counting. Hitting the gym….hitting the weights. Laughing more, loving more…living more….trusting in God more than ever.

Make it Work,
-7 Verses Deep

No comments:

Post a Comment