Saturday, September 10, 2011

You Can Get With This…or…Well……


Choices…we’re faced with them every day. We have the power to make choices that will change our life and that of those around us. That’s pretty powerful. It’s not easy to make the “right” choice. Sometimes, we just don’t have the resources necessary. Or, perhaps it’s that we just don’t fully understand the options and potential impact. But when it comes to your health, you do have a choice. YOU, have the power. You may not believe you have the exact resources, but you do, and you can make what you have work for you. 


It always comes down to the choices you make.
From my own experience, being consistent and keeping the drive seems to be even more of a challenge lately. In the beginning I felt so excited and motivated. These past few months, however, I have had to really dig down deep to keep going. With less than 15 pounds to go, I seem to be struggling more than I was with the first few workouts I ever did a year ago. 

I must be honest, some days I really do get tired of all of the counting, accounting, tracking, measuring and moving some days. It gets so frustrating sometimes. 

 


Some days I just want to lay on the couch, eat chocolate cup cakes with a side of Sea Salt Ruffles and save a bit of room for ice-cream in a sugar cone (yellow vanilla or chocolate will do, please!). But, the reality of it is, indulging on this level would be a definite set back. 
So, how do I respond to this desire? What choice do I make…hmmm…. Well, I give myself a cheat day….a day where I can enjoy a treat not on the “healthy eats” list. It could be a cupcake, a piece of chocolate, a handful of Skittles, a hot dog….a treat. But, I know that once this treat is consumed, I must make up for it by working out a little longer or harder the following day. I have learned the hard way that depriving myself of certain foods will only make me want them more and steer me further from my ultimate goal. Again, it comes down to choices. 

Something else I’ve learned to do over the past year is to swap out non-nutritional foods for those with optimal nutritional value. For example, the old me would devour a ground chuck hamburger on wheat bread with mayo and processed cheese. The me that is still in the process of evolving will instead enjoy a lean turkey or bison burger on whole wheat with either 1tsp of organic mayo or chipotle spread, spinach, red onions and juicy tomatoes. I have learned to use colorful, good and clean food to fuel my body. 
                                                                  
You may be thinking to yourself or saying aloud, “This is easier said than done.” Well, I am here to tell you that if you just start out by trying a few simple things, you will adjust and it will become a habit for you. 

So…here is a quick list of potential substitutes for everyday food consumption and habits/activities:
  • ·         Replace mayo /cream cheese with creamy avocado. The benefit: You get “good fats” in your diet! Packed with vitamin E, avocados are also good for the skin. One last thing about this amazing fruit…well maybe two; avocados can lower cholesterol and blood pressure.
  • ·         Go brown. What does that mean? It means replace white bread, rice, and pasta with brown and whole grain options instead. No enriched, no bleached.
  • ·         Are you a beer guzzler? Trade your beer helmet for a nice glass of red wine. Rich in antioxidants, when consumed in moderation, red wine can also help decrease cholesterol, which helps the heart and can also lower blood pressure.  
  • ·         Do you LOVE sweets like me? Reach for nature’s candy instead, sweet fruit. J Recently, I had to hide the Skittles that I had purchased for myself for “cheat day”. I craved them bad one day. Instead, I went to the fridge and opened up a fresh container of blueberries. Note, fruit is good for you but keep track of the sugar content here as well (even though it is natural).
  • ·         Is it salt or crunch you crave? Instead of Doritos or Ruffles, try Rice/Bean Chips or Organic Tortillas. Fresh guacamole (from those avocados…yummy) or salsa will go well with them. But remember, watch the sodium! Moderation is the key.
  • ·         After dinner, instead of plopping on the couch for 30 minutes (or longer…LOL) to watch your favorite show, record it via the DVR. Get up, grab your shoes and go for a brisk walk. Depending on your pace, you could burn between 100-200 calories. You will feel good about yourself and walk off that dinner. Your show will be waiting for your viewing pleasure later.  
  • ·         No time to work out? Well…you make time for everything else right? Get creative. Chop it up. Get up 20 minutes early and do calisthenics (jumping jacks, sit-ups, pushups, running in place). Take the steps instead of the elevator if you are able. Try parking further away. Get in as many steps as possible during your day (I will soon be posting about a challenge a few of my Facebook followers did with me last month…working out at work.)

Yep…it’s a short list of swaps, but it should give you a few things to jump start your change. I am not saying I am on this 100%, but for the most part, I fuel my body with quality foods. 

Losing weight is hard…and making the transition is not a cake walk. But, it will be worth it. The alternative is a life riddled with health problems and money being consumed for medications, and countless doctor and hospital visits. Again, it comes down to choices you’re making. Invest in yourself and take the time to research and learn what is right and what will work best to get you where you need and deserve to be.

~ Make IT Work!

No comments:

Post a Comment